Transfer Work

Azusa Pacific University may accept transfer credit for equivalent courses from schools accredited by regional agencies recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). To see if you can be awarded credit for transfer work, view lists of preapproved courses through Transferology; all other courses must be approved through a Transfer Credit and Course Substitution form submitted online, and receive approval prior to registration for the course(s). In addition, students must complete transfer courses (including correspondence courses) with a grade of C- or higher. APU’s credit is given on a 4.0 scale for transfer work. Quarter units will be converted into semester units; APU grants two semester units of credit for every three quarter units.

The university can give credit for no more than 70 units of coursework from a two-year institution or community college and 90 units from a four-year institution or a combination of both. Students must complete 16 of their final 24 units at APU.

APU may also accept a maximum of 24 units of non-General Education elective credit from institutions accredited by the following faith-related or national organizations:

  • Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE)
  • Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
  • Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS)
  • Distance Education Accrediting Commission
  • Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools
  • Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges

These units will apply as elective units, and are not applicable toward General Education, major, or minor requirements unless otherwise approved.

All courses must be baccalaureate level by the credit-granting institution and intended for transfer. Remedial courses and vocational/technical courses are not accepted. Courses taken through online agencies, services, and institutions will not be accepted to APU unless the host university is regionally accredited. Any coursework completed with a grade below a C- will not be considered for transfer credit to APU.

Students who reenroll at APU after leaving and spending two or more consecutive semesters at another academic institution may apply those transferable units toward their General Education requirements. Only units transferred at reenrollment will be considered.

For more information on transfer guidelines, see General Education Information for Transfer Students.