Internet Acceptable Use Policy
Azusa Pacific University’s domain name (apu.edu) and other university computer, network, and electronic mail systems exist for the primary purpose of transmitting and sharing information for the university’s purposes. The use of apu.edu by any member must be consistent with the mission of Azusa Pacific University and is subject to control by the university.
Computer, network, communications, and Internet services exist to promote the purposes of the university. Every attempt to protect privacy will be maintained, but observation of traffic flow and content may be necessary at the university’s discretion for security and legal reasons. The end-user who originates traffic will be responsible if the traffic does not conform to this policy.
- Respect the privacy of others. For example, users shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files belonging to other users.
- Only use your own account and password; never misrepresent yourself as another user.
- Respect the legal protection provided by copyright and licenses to programs and data.
- Respect the integrity of apu.edu so as not to interfere with or disrupt network users, services, or equipment. Interference or disruption includes, but is not limited to, distribution of unsolicited advertising, propagation of computer viruses, and use of the network to make unauthorized entry into other computational, communication, or information devices or resources.
- Use as a vehicle for scholarly or university-related communications
- Use in applying for or administering grants or contracts for research or instruction
- Use in activities of research or direct support for instruction
- Use must be consistent with university standards as defined in its publications.
- Use of apu.edu or any other university computing resources for illegal purposes
- Use of apu.edu or any other university computing resources to transmit or receive threatening, obscene, or harassing materials
- Sending unsolicited advertising
- Use for personal for-profit business
- Use of the network by employees for recreational games during working hours
Enforcement and Violations
Action may be taken by system management, subject to the guidance and authority of the Internet Policy Committee, to prevent possible unauthorized activity by temporarily deactivating any member. Reasonable efforts will be made to inform the member prior to disconnection and to reestablish the connection as soon as an acceptable understanding has been reached. Any disciplinary action deemed necessary will be handled through the dean of the school or college.