BA in Chemistry
All of the following requirements must be met to continue as an allied health, biological sciences, biochemistry, or chemistry major. Failure to maintain these requirements will result in a student being dropped from the major. Reentry to the major is by petition only.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all biochemistry, biology, chemistry, math, and physics courses required for the major.
- Must complete each course required for the major with a C- or higher for the course to meet a degree requirement in the Department of Biology and Chemistry.
- Any single course within the major can be taken only two times at APU; students must change to a major outside the department after two unsuccessful (below C-) attempts in a single required course.
- Only two courses total within the major can be repeated; students must change to a major outside the department after unsuccessful (below C-) attempts in any three required courses.
|BIOL 151||General Biology I 1||4|
|BIOL 496||Writing 3: Ethics and the Sciences 2||3|
|CHEM 151||General Chemistry I 1, 3||4|
|CHEM 152||General Chemistry II 3||4|
& CHEM 261
|Organic Chemistry: Theory I|
and Organic Chemistry - Lab
& CHEM 262
|Organic Chemistry: Theory II|
and Organic Chemistry - Lab
& CHEM 310
|Quantitative Chemical Analysis - Theory|
and Quantitative Chemical Analysis - Laboratory
|CHEM 401||Physical Chemistry I||3|
|MATH 165||Calculus I 3||3|
|MATH 166||Calculus II 3||3|
|Select one of the following:||8-10|
|Physics for Life Sciences I|
and Physics for Life Sciences II 4
|Physics for Science and Engineering I|
and Physics for Science and Engineering II 5
|Select at least 8 units from the following:||8|
|General Biology II|
or BIOC 270
|Teaching and Learning in STEM 6|
|STEM Education Research Seminar 6|
|STEM Teaching Practicum 6|
|Instrumental Analysis: Theory|
and Instrumental Analysis - Lab 7
|Directed Research Internship 6|
|Chemical Science Internship 6|
|Physical Chemistry I Lab|
|Physical Chemistry II|
|Physical Chemistry II Lab|
|Advanced Topics in Chemistry|
Meets the General Education Natural Sciences requirement.
Meets the General Education Writing 3 requirement.
This course may be waived with an appropriate Advanced Placement test score.
PHYC 151 meets the General Education Natural Sciences requirement and may be waived with an appropriate Advanced Placement test score.
PHYC 161 meets the General Education Natural Sciences requirement and may be waived with an appropriate Advanced Placement test score.
Program Learning OutcomesStudents who successfully complete this program shall be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge base in the field of chemistry.
- Effectively communicate scientific ideas and research orally.
- Effectively communicate scientific ideas and research in writing.
- Demonstrate proficiency in problem solving and applying the scientific method to scientific questions.
- Demonstrate laboratory skills and techniques.
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant laboratory instrumentation.
- Express a Christian worldview that integrates faith with their chemistry vocation.