Minor in Chemistry
- The minimum prerequisites for the chemistry minor are a C- in CHEM 151 and a B- in MATH 110 or equivalent (e.g., a score of 65 on ALEKS).
- Students must complete all prerequisites for a BIOC, BIOL, or CHEM course with a C- or better before taking the course (except as noted in the course description).
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all biology, chemistry, biochemistry, math, and physics courses required for the minor.
- Students must complete each course required for the minor with a C- or higher for the course to meet a degree requirement in the Department of Biology and Chemistry.
- Any single course within the minor can be taken only two times at APU; students will be dismissed from the minor after two unsuccessful (below C-) attempts in a single required course.
- Only two courses total within the minor can be repeated; students will be dismissed from the minor after unsuccessful (below C-) attempts in any three required courses.
|Lower-Division Chemistry Requirements|
& CHEM 152
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry II 1, 2
& CHEM 252
|Organic Chemistry: Theory I|
and Organic Chemistry: Theory II
& CHEM 262
|Organic Chemistry - Lab|
and Organic Chemistry - Lab
|Upper-Division Chemistry Electives||7|
|Choose 7 elective units from the following; these may not include units used to fulfill requirements of the student’s major.|
|Principles of Biochemistry|
or BIOC 270
or BIOC 370
|Quantitative Chemical Analysis - Theory|
and Quantitative Chemical Analysis - Laboratory
|Instrumental Analysis: Theory|
and Instrumental Analysis - Lab 3
|Teaching and Learning in STEM 4|
|STEM Education Research Seminar 4|
|STEM Teaching Practicum 4|
|Directed Research Internship 4, 5|
|Chemical Science Internship 4, 6|
|Physical Chemistry I|
|Physical Chemistry II|
|Physical Chemistry I Lab|
|Physical Chemistry II Lab|
|Advanced Organic Chemistry|
|Advanced Topics in Chemistry|
CHEM 151 meets the General Education Natural Sciences requirement.
May be waived with the appropriate Advanced Placement test scores.
CHEM 320 meets the General Education Integrative and Applied Learning requirement.
Up to 3 units combined of CHEM 311, CHEM 312, CHEM 313, CHEM 394, and CHEM 395 may count toward minor elective units.
All research done within CHEM 394 must be done primarily with a member of the chemistry faculty.
CHEM 395 must be approved by the course instructor for credit toward the chemistry minor.