Academic advising at Azusa Pacific University is an intentional, multidimensional, student-centered partnership where students, faculty, and staff collaborate to support holistic student development. This process enables students to identify and work toward educational, career, and personal goals. Successful advising is achieved through well-trained advisors facilitating student growth, accountability, and self-directed learning, enabling students to take ownership of the academic process. This empowers students to utilize institutional resources to optimally plan course progression, evaluate academic performance and strengths, enhance preparation through community engagement, and discover vocational calling while progressing toward a degree.
Academic advising is provided by each academic department for students enrolled in any of that department’s majors, and also by the Academic Success Center to assist students in the advising and registration process. The center’s Office of Academic Advising provides academic coaching and support that enables students to achieve their scholastic goals and thrive academically. The office’s staff support student academic success by using a holistic approach and providing the following:
- Individualized academic advising and success coaching
- Connecting students to on-campus resources and strategies to foster academic success
- Assisting with questions regarding progress toward graduation
- Partnering with faculty to support students who are identified in our Early Alert program (also known as APU C.A.R.E.S.)
- Developing strategies to help increase undergraduate student retention, persistence, and graduation rates
- Providing student-athletes and transfer students with support for their unique needs in scheduling and navigating degree progress