Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

The Learning Enrichment Center is open year-round and provides a wide range of academic support services for APU students seeking to enhance their learning. It is the designated office for:

  • Verification of disability.
  • Disability documentation archive.
  • Coordination of direct services for APU students with specific disabilities.

The office serves all students, regardless of degree level or location. Accommodations are individualized based on the learning needs of each student and upon documented verification of disability, as appropriate. Accommodation examples include, but are not limited to, extended time on exams, exams taken in a least-distracting environment, sign language interpreters, captionists, wheelchair access, and other reasonable accommodations. Accommodations are unreasonable if they would fundamentally alter the nature of academic courses, education programs, or other activities, or would result in undue financial or administrative burden.

In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, APU permits service animals on campus. For more information on service animals as a disability accommodation, contact the LEC director.

Request for Disability Accommodations

Students with disabilities may request accommodations by following the steps below:

  1. Complete a Request for Accommodations Form available in the LEC and online.
  2. Provide documentation of the disability. More information about the documentation requirements may be found online and in the LEC, including referrals for diagnostic testing. 
  3. Schedule a meeting to discuss needs with the LEC director or disability services coordinator, who will review and decide which accommodations, if any, are reasonable and appropriate. Note that students who reside at a distance may have this meeting by phone.

Students who believe that their requests have not been adequately addressed may follow the university’s Disability Grievance Policy for students online.

For more information about disability accommodations or to obtain guidelines for disability documentation, stop by the LEC, call (626) 815-3849, or send a note to

Personal Care Assistance or Equipment

Students are expected to have the skills to care for themselves when functioning on campus or when occupying campus housing. Personal assistance necessitating an attendant may range from hygiene and seating assistance to medication assistance. Students requesting services from peers, staff, or faculty will be asked to obtain a personal attendant at their own expense. The provision of services by untrained individuals is considered a safety risk to the student with a disability and the individual providing the assistance.

Mobility Impairment Parking Permits for Students

Permanent Mobility Impairment

Students with a Disabled Person Parking Placard due to permanent mobility impairment (that is, a “DP” license plate or a placard issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles) may park in any designated handicapped parking space on campus. In addition, students must register their vehicle with the Department of Campus Safety to receive an APU parking permit. Appropriate documentation to verify the mobility impairment may be requested. The placard or license plate must be displayed at all times, and parking in restricted areas, such as red zones, is not permitted.  

Temporary Mobility Impairment

Students who have a temporary mobility impairment (less than one semester), such as a broken leg or short-term illness, that impacts their ability to walk short distances can request a Temporary Parking Permit that allows the student to park in any general space with the exception of restricted areas or spaces reserved for individuals with disabilities. To obtain a Temporary Parking Permit:

  • Submit a completed Request for Accommodations Form available in the LEC and online.
  • Provide documentation of the injury or illness from a qualified medical professional stating limitations and length of time expected for recovery.
  • Meet with the LEC director or disability services coordinator to review the request.

Student vehicles must be registered with the Department of Campus Safety in order to receive a Temporary Parking Permit.

If a student injury or illness extends beyond one semester, the student should meet with the LEC director or disability services coordinator again prior to obtaining an extension of the Temporary Parking Permit.  

For additional inquiries, contact the Learning Enrichment Center at (626) 815-3849 (phone) or (626) 815-3859 (fax), or the Department of Campus Safety at (626) 815-3805.

Study Away Disability Accommodations

Students requiring disability accommodations for study away are encouraged to meet with the LEC director as soon as possible to determine the resources available in the country of destination. Because the laws of the United States do not always apply in other countries, physical accessibility and other accommodations may not be equal to service provided in the United States. The LEC, however, works with students to develop strategies to address their disability needs.

Each student is different, and travel to other countries requires an honest evaluation of what is required to identify and manage individual disability needs and potential issues that could occur while away. A discussion with the student about program fit, course selection, and personal needs is a collaborative effort shared by the Center for Global Learning and Engagement and the LEC. Open communication ensures a positive transition for students.

Procedure for students pursuing disability accommodations away:

  1. Meet individually with an advisor in the Center for Global Learning and Engagement to identify the best program fit in relation to the student’s goals and academic needs.
  2. After a study away program has been selected, the student should meet with the LEC director to discuss disability documentation and appropriate accommodations, which are considered on a case-by-case basis.
  3. The LEC director will research the case and communicate with the Center for Global Learning and Engagement to determine the feasibility of providing accommodations at the anticipated location away.
  4. A follow-up meeting at the LEC will be held with the student to discuss available accommodations at the location away and a possible plan of action.