Course Policies

Course Auditing

A student may apply to the instructor for permission to audit a class. The student must meet university entrance requirements and pay the audit fee, which is one half the regular course fee. A student may not change from an audit classification to obtain credit after the last date of the add period, nor change from credit to audit after the sixth week of instruction. An audited class will not count toward a degree.

Independent Study

Independent study enables students to enrich their university experience by pursuing learning in a closely supervised program and undertaking individual investigation of subject areas not covered in regular course offerings. An undergraduate, upper-division student (those with 60 or more completed units) who has a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 may receive credit for a maximum of 9 independent study units to be applied toward a degree program. No more than 4 units may be applied toward one project, and a maximum of 9 independent study units may be taken during one academic term.

The independent study is recorded as XXX 497, XXX 498, or XXX 499 on the student’s permanent academic record. To request an independent study course for any given semester, students should begin planning the study during advising and must submit a completed Course Replacement or Independent Study form to One Stop | Undergraduate Enrollment Services Center by the last day of the add period (see the Academic Calendar for the specific date).

The application must include:

  • A completed Course Replacement or Independent Study form.
  • A proposal written in consultation with the supervising or mentoring instructor.
  • Signed approval of the instructor, department chair, and dean of the appropriate school or college.

The student pays an additional fee of $125/unit for independent study courses.

Course Replacement

Course replacement is the replacement of a catalog course in terms of units, content, syllabus, outline, and testing by an independent-study version of the course. In general, the course tutorial cannot substitute for a course that is offered on a regular basis, but there may be occasions in which it may be utilized to fulfill a course requirement when a course is cancelled because of low enrollment. The actual course number, instead of an independent study number, is recorded on the student’s permanent academic record.

Course replacement units do not count toward the maximum 9 independent study units allowed in a degree program. To request a course replacement for any given semester, the student must submit a completed Course Replacement or Independent Study form to One Stop by the last day of the add period (see the Academic Calendar for the specific date).

Course Counting

Many courses offered at APU are approved to count toward more than one category on the My Requirements page. Listed below are some principles about the way courses may count toward degree requirements. If you are confused about a rule or uncertain about how it applies to your situation, contact your advisor in your academic department, an academic success coach in the Undergraduate Academic Success Center, or an academic specialist in One Stop.

  1. Courses may count toward no more than one requirement per program (General Education, majors, and minors) unless stated otherwise.

  2. There is no limit to the number of courses that may count in multiple programs unless stated otherwise.

  3. Courses that may be taken multiple times for credit may count toward the same requirement unless stated otherwise.

  4. Concentration requirements are considered a part of the major/minor program, and therefore cannot share courses across requirements unless stated otherwise.

  5. Academic departments may limit the number of courses that can be shared between their programs and other programs.

  6. Policies regarding unique courses and sharing limits for earning a double major or double degree apply.