APU Study Away Programs
Undergraduate and Graduate
GO Terms are academic programs of varying lengths offered in fall, spring, and summer for traditional and professional undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral students, and include a wide variety of destinations and courses of study. For GO Term options, visit the GO Terms site. For financial information, see our financial aid policies or contact a financial aid counselor in the Undergraduate Enrollment Services Center or the Graduate and Professional Center.
China Nursing Semester
A unique semester for undergraduate nursing students to have hands-on experience with a university-affiliated hospital in China, the China Nursing Semester exchange program allows for Chinese students to attend APU courses while APU students take courses in China. Complete a Semester Application online (application deadline: February 1).
In collaboration with Living and Learning International, students can participate in the Ecuador Semester, where they will focus on learning Ecuadorian culture, the Spanish language, and practical application within ministry, service-learning, or internship experience in a developing nation. Students enjoy rich interaction with the culture through travel to the Galapagos Islands and the Amazon jungle. Complete a Semester Application online (application deadline: February 1).
Norway Nursing Semester
The Norway Nursing Semester is a unique semester exchange program. APU undergraduate nursing students take courses and gain hands-on experience with community health care in Norway, while Norwegian students attend APU. Complete a Semester Application online (application deadline: February 1).
The Azusa Pacific University Center for Public Affairs in Sacramento offers students an immersive learning environment that provides internship and professional mentorship opportunities. The program introduces students to the field of public administration and allows students hands-on experiences, such as learning to write policies, civic engagement through public service, and development of Christ-centered leadership skills. The Sacramento Semester is geared toward students who want to complete a public administration minor, or a major in criminal justice, social work, communication studies, economics, or psychology. Additionally, students are able to engage with the Tahoe Semester through the Sacramento-Tahoe Exchange. Complete a Semester Application online (application deadline: February 1).
South Africa Semester
The South Africa Semester, located in Pietermaritzburg, provides an opportunity for sophomore, junior, and senior students to earn up to 18 units during this unique semester away. Students learn about the country’s rich culture and history through academics, serving in local communities, developing relationships with South African community members, and engaging with local families. Coursework allows students to choose from a variety of General Education courses. Required courses include a uniquely developed course on Principles and Practices of Community Engagement that allows students to engage in the local South Africa community and earn 30 service-learning credits toward graduation. This course may include projects serving alongside an HIV/AIDS health program, teaching at an orphanage, interning with a non-government organization, and other opportunities with local community development organizations. Complete a Semester Application online (application deadline: February 1).
South Africa Nursing Semester
The South Africa Nursing Semester, located in Pietermaritzburg, offers a cohort of upper-level nursing students the opportunity to learn, serve, and engage in APU’s South Africa Semester, while focusing on community health care. Students are exposed to the vibrant South African culture through national travel and community-based organization involvement, and conduct projects to address health disparities, health problems, and barriers to health promotion. Students’ cultural sensitivity is enhanced via engagement in the local South African community through various community health service-learning opportunities that earn 30 service credits toward graduation. Complete a Semester Application online (application deadline: February 1).
The Tahoe Semester is a study away opportunity that engages the wilderness, academics, and community formation. Small cohorts of students enjoy the beauty of South Lake Tahoe each semester, and engage with the Sacramento Semester program through the weeklong Sacramento-Tahoe Exchange. In addition to fulfilling courses in the General Education or kinesiology tracks, students may also apply some courses toward the environmental studies minor. The student experience is further enhanced through service-learning opportunities in the Civic Knowledge and Engagement course, which earns students 30 service credits toward graduation as they work alongside the local community. Complete a Semester Application online (application deadline: February 1).
A. All Study Away Semester and GO Terms Policies
- Pre-Study Away: APU Discipline Clearances and Acceptance Process: Applicant status notifications are sent by email to applicants’ APU email addresses 2-3 weeks after the application due date. In order to create and maintain a safe and God-honoring environment for all of our study away programs, the CGLE requests a complete “discipline clearance” for each applicant from Academic Advising (clearance from academic probation), Residence Life, Student Affairs, Campus Life, and any other relevant department (at the discretion of the CGLE). Applicants are not officially accepted into the program without this clearance. APU reserves the right to deny a student based on their discipline history at APU. If a student discipline issue occurs after acceptance or during the program, the student may be withdrawn from the program and will lose any nonrefundable monies or prepayments made on the student’s behalf. If there are any questions regarding this process, contact the CGLE.
- Participation: All study away students automatically waive the privilege of studying away if they do not complete all pre-program requirements (varies by program) in a thorough and timely manner. Items include, but are not limited to, all forms, online and/or face-to-face meetings, readings, required submissions, trainings, and thorough knowledge of and response to all program-specific materials. Furthermore, participants must abide by all APU policies and all items noted in their program’s Student Agreements Document (or equivalent) throughout the duration of their study away program or risk a range of disciplinary actions including removal from the program at their own expense.
- Academics: Students are required to enroll in and fulfill all program-specific required coursework and abide by the following policies:
- Applicants for study away must be in good academic standing (e.g., not on academic probation, have a positive academic integrity profile, etc.).
- Regular course prerequisites for all study away courses are mandatory for participation in a study away semester or GO Term.
- Students must abide by university add/drop dates. Students will receive a Withdrawal (W) grade for any courses dropped after this period.
- General APU Policies: Upholding of all APU policies is required. All policies are valued, with awareness of the below items being of particular importance when participating in any study away program:
- Regular fulfillment of the residence policy is required to be considered for degree completion.
- Regular fulfillment of commencement participation items (e.g., type of registration for final units, etc.) is required for anyone intending to participate in commencement.
B. Additional Traditional Undergraduate Semester Policies
- Financial Aid: The maximum time a student may utilize their institutional financial aid (this does not include campus requirement aid such as athletic scholarships, music, etc.) for semester study away purposes will be two semesters. The number of faculty/staff education benefit recipients each term varies by program. Visit the Financial Aid Policy for Study Away Programs section of this catalog for additional information.
- Post-Study Away: Semester study away students are required to have one semester at the Azusa campus after studying away. Automatic enrollment in a (1-unit or equivalent) post-study-away course curriculum upon completion of their term away will be implemented for most programs (GO Term participants are eligible and highly encouraged to enroll). Students cannot study away their final semester, nor can students study away two consecutive semesters (consecutive semesters are considered to be fall/spring and spring/fall). This policy does not apply to GO Term program participation.
- Academics: In addition to the above academic policies, traditional undergraduate students are required to abide by the following policies:
- All undergraduate study away students must maintain full-time enrollment during a semester study away program (minimum 12 units).
- Students may not participate in the same study away semester program more than once.
- Study away students are not allowed to take APU online courses unless designated by the specific program course listings.
- A maximum of two online courses (6 units) from program-approved options is permissible.
- Students are required to enroll in and fulfill all program-specific required coursework. Any study away participant not enrolled in the required courses and/or total units for their study away program as stated in the current program materials by the term registration date will be automatically enrolled into the appropriate section(s) and held responsible for any applicable fees/charges. If needed, it is the responsibility of the student to transfer into a different course section by the add/drop date.
- Students are not permitted to take courses unless designated by the specific program course listings. Any semester study away student enrolled in a course that is not offered by their program will be automatically dropped from the course and notified by the CGLE or the Undergraduate Enrollment Services Center. (An independent study course may be permitted for some programs; email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.)
- Students are responsible to enroll in APU courses and units that accurately reflect their enrollment in the program. Failure to enroll in the same number of units in the program and one’s APU student account may incur additional costs and change financial aid, and could affect degree clearance and/or progress.
- Post-Study Away Curriculum: Any study away student not enrolled in the required post-study-away curriculum as designated by their study away program by the term registration date will be automatically enrolled into any open class session. If needed, it is the responsibility of the student to switch to a different course section by the add/drop date. Exceptions available only to psychology majors and APU GO Term participants.
- General Education Courses: Students can refer to the current list of General Education requirements to utilize GE courses offered through APU study away programs.
For more information, contact the Center for Global Learning and Engagement at (626) 857-2440 or email@example.com. The center is located in the back of Smith Hall (building 10a, near the pond and Hartwig Prayer Chapel) on East Campus. You may also connect with the center on Facebook or Instagram.