Step 3: Credential Application
To be eligible for a credential, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Successful completion of coursework (i.e., competency on each student learning outcome and a course grade of B- or better)
- Evaluation of Taskstream assignments
- Proficiency in the Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs)
- Passage of all state-required examinations, as follows:
- Passage of the RICA examination is required for candidates who wish to become credentialed for teaching multiple subjects or special education.
- Passage of CalTPA (Instructional Cycle 1 and Instructional Cycle 2) is required for candidates who wish to become credentialed for teaching multiple subjects or a single subject.
- Submission of CalTPA Instructional Cycle 1 and Instructional Cycle 2 is required for candidates who wish to become credentialed as mild/moderate or moderate/severe disabilities education specialists.
- Completion of all other credential requirements
It is candidates’ responsibility to submit a credential application through the Office of Credentials upon completion of a credential program to receive their California educator credential. This request may be submitted to the credentials office up to one month before completion of all credential requirements.
NOTE: Teacher candidates in combined master’s and credential programs who have opted to waive coursework will need to take additional units to fulfill the unit requirement. Contact the department for a course elective listing.