Transfer Credit


Appropriate transfer work may be accepted toward a master’s degree. Students in doctoral programs should refer to those sections in the catalog for information regarding transfer units. Transfer units may not exceed 20 percent1 of the units required for a master’s degree. To be transferable, a course must meet the following requirements:

  1. The course was completed at a regionally accredited institution.
  2. The grade earned was a B or better. (Neither Pass in a pass/fail, Credit in a credit/no-credit course, nor a B- is acceptable for transfer credit. However, up to one-half of the required field education units for a theology degree may be accepted with grades of Pass or Credit.)
  3. The course was completed subsequent to the awarding of the bachelor’s degree.
  4. The course was taken within eight years of the time in which the student begins work in the degree program. (More recent work may be required in some programs.)
  5. The course must be applicable to a graduate degree at the institution where it was taken.
  6. The course must not be professional development or extension coursework.

Transfer credit may be denied if any of the following is requested:

  • Undergraduate coursework requested as transfer credit for an Azusa Pacific University master’s degree program.
  • Transfer credit or course substitution into a subsequent Azusa Pacific University master’s degree.

Students in doctoral programs should refer to those sections in the catalog for information regarding transfer units. Master’s degree coursework does not count as transfer credit into an Azusa Pacific University doctoral degree program.

Courses for transfer must be approved by the student’s department or school, as well as by the Office of the Graduate and Professional Registrar following submission of the APU Substitution and Transfer Credit Request Form.

Students should not assume acceptance of transfer work until they receive written notification from the registrar.


Azusa Pacific University may accept transfer credit for equivalent courses from schools accredited by regional agencies recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). To be awarded credit for transfer work, professional students must complete and submit a Transfer Inquiry Form to the registrar’s office and receive approval prior to registration for the course. In addition, students must complete the transfer course (including correspondence courses) with a grade of C- or higher. APU credit is given on a 4.0 scale for transfer work. Quarter units will be converted into semester units.

Students who reenroll at APU after leaving and spending two or more consecutive semesters at another academic institution may apply those transferable units toward their General Education requirements. Only units transferred at reenrollment will be considered.

APU may also accept a maximum of 12 units of non-General Education elective credit from institutions accredited by the following faith-related organizations:

  • The Association for Biblical Higher Education
  • The Association of Theological Schools
  • Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools

These units may apply only as elective units, and are not applicable toward General Education, major, or minor requirements.

All courses must be baccalaureate level and intended for transfer. Remedial courses and vocational/technical courses are not accepted, except when approved through Prior Learning Assessment. Students must complete transfer work with a grade of C- or higher. APU credit is given on a 4.0 scale.

Courses taken through online agencies, services, and institutions will not be accepted to APU unless the host university is regionally accredited.

The university can give credit for no more than 70 units of coursework from a community or junior college and 90 units from a four-year institution. All quarter units will be converted to semester units. APU grants two semester units of credit for every three quarter units.

For information on transfer guidelines, see:

Prior Learning Assessment

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is the evaluation of learning that has taken place outside the traditional classroom for the purpose of awarding college credit. PLA is a WASC-approved process to help students articulate college-level learning that may be used to earn units toward elective or general education requirements for their degree. The student may use a variety of pathways to earn PLA units. These include:

  1. Kolb-model Experiential Learning Essays
  2. Credit for some military experience
  3. Submission of professional/technical training documents

The maximum number of units that may be earned with PLA is 30, and units may be applied only toward professional undergraduate degree programs. If credit for an Experiential Learning Essay is not granted after the first review, students may resubmit one additional time. Students are charged a per-unit fee and a one-time evaluation fee that may be found under Graduate and Professional Student Financial Services on the APU website. Financial aid is not available for these fees.

Students should not assume acceptance of transfer work until they receive written notification from the registrar.