Minor in Chemistry
- The minimum prerequisites for the chemistry minor are a C- in CHEM 151 and a B- in MATH 110 or equivalent (e.g., a score of 65 on ALEKS).
- Students must complete all prerequisites for a BIOC, BIOL, or CHEM course with a C- or better before taking the course (except as noted in the course description).
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all biology, chemistry, biochemistry, math, and physics courses required for the minor.
- Students must complete each BIOC, BIOL, or CHEM course with a C- or higher for the course to meet a degree requirement in the Department of Biology and Chemistry.
- Any single course within the minor can be taken only two times at APU; students will be dismissed from the minor after two unsuccessful (below C-) attempts in a single required course.
- Only two courses total within the minor can be repeated; students will be dismissed from the minor after unsuccessful (below C-) attempts in any three required courses.
|Lower-Division Chemistry Requirements|
& CHEM 152
|General Chemistry I|
and General Chemistry II 1, 2
& CHEM 252
|Organic Chemistry: Theory I|
and Organic Chemistry: Theory II
& CHEM 262
|Organic Chemistry - Lab|
and Organic Chemistry - Lab
|Upper-Division Chemistry Electives||7|
|Choose 7 elective units from the following; these may not include units used to fulfill requirements of the student’s major.|
|Principles of Biochemistry|
or BIOC 270
or BIOC 370
|Quantitative Chemical Analysis - Theory|
and Quantitative Chemical Analysis - Laboratory
|Instrumental Analysis: Theory|
and Instrumental Analysis - Lab 3
|Physical Chemistry I|
|Physical Chemistry II|
|Physical Chemistry I Lab|
|Physical Chemistry II Lab|
|Advanced Organic Chemistry|
|Advanced Topics in Chemistry|
Meets the General Education Natural Sciences requirement.
This course may be waived with an appropriate Advanced Placement test score.
Meets the General Education Integrative and Applied Learning requirement.